Thursday, October 19, 2006

A Czech Vampire

This afternoon I was invited to give a short presentation about myself and my internship here in Prague during a recruiting event for the local IAESTE committee. Beforehand, a student found the courage to practice his English and speak with me. As soon as he started speaking, I saw his sharp, vampire-like teeth covered in a dark, gritty film, I recalled the many men in Norway who chewed tobacco which often covered their teeth in a gritty dark film. And so, the student began by telling me a joke about three vampires, and I almost laughed out loud for just noticing his own vampire-like teeth covered in what I thought could be dried blood.
Thinking to myelf that maybe this guy has a fetish for vampires, my mind once again raced back to my days traveling in London with my family and learning about Count Dracula and his kingdom in Eastern Europe. Then I thought, maybe the Czech Republic was where the real Dracula lived. Sadly however, Count Dracular, the fictional character in the Dracula novel, was inspired by one of the best-known figures of the Romanian history, Vlad Dracula, nicknamed Vlad Tepes (Vlad the Impaler) , who was a ruler of Wallachia (1456-1462) (See above picture).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home